Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 11, 2010

Fourth of July Musings

Spur of the moment, last minute almost, I shooed everyone toward the van and we headed out on another family adventure. Five minutes into it, someone says "this is boring". Ah! Mom to the rescue with patriotic music on the radio! That only served to elicit loud protests and moans. I laughed and turned up the radio. They'll remember this adventure one day!
Luckily we made in time to make it into Battleship Park and park. We threw a blanket up on top of the van and all 4 of my kids, including my 19 year old, climbed up to watch the show. And thanks to my impeccable timing (ha!ha!) the show began in no time.
Hubby propped himself against the van as I sat on the hood. Maybe I'm simple, but the feel of the warm gentle breeze off of Mobile Bay gently caressing my bare arms and shoulders is magical to me. Nothing else matters right now. I'm at peace!
Then unfolding before me is a wonderful 3D display of glittering color. Some colors painting a background for others to jump out at you! Some make me think of giant chrysanthemums. Some make me think of what it must have been like for Francis Scott Key to watch "the rocket's red glare" so many years ago. Some just make me think "beautiful!"
In the background a local band is doing a rather bad rendition of "America the Beautiful" followed by "The Cupid Shuffle". I chuckled inwardly at the stupidity of that combination to accompany the show! I could also hear a car alarm or two set off by the vibrations as well as a few infants and toddlers set off as well!
Way too soon the show is over. We all pile back into the van and get set to endure the traffic and head home. But the mood in the van is different now. We seem a bit closer for the shared experience. We joke and laugh together at the things we are observing in traffic. And I, with my mom hat on, am a very happy woman to have shared such a night with my wonderful, yet dysfunctional at times, family!

No comments:

Post a Comment